Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mom


I was just thinking on this mothers day, what I most admired in my mother.
So many things came to my mind.

Things I didn't think were very significant as a child, but now as a parent, I realize how wonderful they really were.

I remember having the worst leg aches as a child especially at bedtime. Mom would come in and rub my legs for such a long time, I swear it would be an hour, or at least until I fell asleep. She would pick my legs up and drop them until I relaxed and they were like a rag doll.

When my kids have leg aches, it's hard to rub their legs for such a long time. I've had a long day, and that's the last thing I want to do. Tylenol is so much easier.

Breakfast. Mom always sent us out the door with a good breakfast. We always sat at the table and had a prayer and ate breakfast together. Pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, hashbrowns and eggs, that really yummy bran muffin thingy with the fruit and yogurt stuff on top, and sometimes cold cereal and toast, but always on the table and set out nicely.

Nowdays, I will whip up those things for my kids, but it always seems rushed and we sit on the bar stools and sometimes we end up eating on paper plates because I don't know when I will get to the dishes. The kids probably get cold cereal more often than we did as kids. The breakfast thing is hard sometimes.

Family home evening. It was torture. We were terrible. We made mom cry. But she always kept at it. She always bore her testimony. Wow. That is tuff. I am not as strong for sure.

Poodle skirts, prom dresses, sunday dresses, choir dresses, wedding dress alterations. Nothing seemed to hard for mom. How she managed to keep up with all the we threw at her I will never know.

Scriptures every morning, dinner on the table every night. Playing card games with dad. (you have to be patient for that) Homemade bread. Gardening. Church service. Taking care of Grandma (both of them) and Aunt Bertha.
Mom, I could write a book. I know that life wasn't always perfect and we all made mistakes, but one thing I know is that I was blessed with a wonderful mother. Thank you for your faithfulness. Thank you for never giving up on us. Thank you for your example of service. Thanks for rubbing my legs for so long.

I love you.
Happy Mother's Day.

3 comments:

Eldon said...

Here, Here (as they would say in the old country)

As a side note. I was at the house for Mother's day for the first time since being married. Ask me what I did? Nothing. I forgot to even mention it to Mom. I just hustled the kids and packed the car. About the time I got to Yuma I was thinking I didn't even say Happy Mothers day. How lame am I. I did call but...

Madge Thomas said...

I have seven of the very best!! And six of the even better!!! Couldn't ask for anything more!!

Linnea said...

Mom rubbing my aching legs is one of the first memories I have.