Saturday, May 05, 2007

Competiveness???


When Glenn & I would come down to visit Mom and Dad Thomas when we lived away, it was always FUN to stay up late into the evenings playing games.

We played all kinds of games - Skip Bo, Upwards, Phase 10, Mormon Rook, Uno - but the one most enjoyed by Dad Thomas was Scrabble. Each time he would mention Scrabble, Mom Thomas would just roll her eyes and sigh. I kinda' agreed with her (but didn't show it) but still enjoyed trying to beat this man, plus my husband... as for Mom, I felt that we were in this together.

We'd get the board game out and "go to town" late into the evening playing and playing. We heard many of Dad's famous stories about "the word that was worth 100 points+" time-and-time again. And it always seemed that after midnight, we'd all get giddy and laugh and laugh and laugh at about anything!

Now, Thomas' play by the rules. When growing up my Mother and I played this game but didn't play by any of the rules. At the Thomas house you can't look-up words. Words can be challenged. You can even lose your turn if you misspell a word. And, Dad Thomas will always keep score! MAN!

It was a fun time always and so many times Heather and Big Ben would join in the fun. I remember Melanie once or twice had joined us too.

Who would win - well, I don't remember! :)

Then there was the Thanksgiving Weekend when we came down from San Jose. Glenn & I were assigned to bring the mashed potatoes. Easy! Wednesday night I open one of the 10 pound bags and began to peel on one side of the sink. Dad Thomas walks into the kitchen and grabs the other 10 pound bag and starts on the other side of the sink. I remember saying, " No no Dad, I can do it. Glenn will help me." But he assured me that he wanted to help.

Watching out of the corner of my eye I noticed that whenever I started a new potato he would always try to start a new potato too. A few times, I would start a potato and then throw it back into the sink - not finished! He would then really quickly try to finish his potato then grab another one to start at the same time I did.

FINALLY he posed the question, "Cindy, do you want to race?" WHAT! "Yeah, race me in peeling a potato..." I remember looking at Glenn and Mom, thinking, good grief - you are serious. SURE! The race began and even though he seemed to be going really really fast, I think I was faster! And when the potatoes were thrown into the pot - MINE was peeled neatly while HIS had a few spots here and there. YES, he may have been quicker, BUT "Quality Control" AKA MOM THOMAS declared me the winner! :D



I guess Stara's are a little bit competitive too!

4 comments:

Eldon said...

Nothing better than beating Dad and something and watching him squirm.

Brent T said...

You forgot to mention driving with me in Utah. I totally beat that guy.

Melissa said...

Ha Ha Ha! That is sooooooo my dad. Competitive to the very core. It passed on to Allison. She's always ready for a race!

Linnea said...

That's hilarious!