Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

This is a summary of trips, vacations, excursions we took. I am sure there are more and I welcome as many comments as possible to fill in the gaps.

1974 - We took a trip in our Holiday Rambler motorhome to Chicago to visit Jay and Marlene and family, and traveled by way of Yellowstone. This is the trip with the famous episode of getting the two oldest boys, who wouldn't settle down, to see who could run around the motorhome the most times. I know it was well over 100 times and we could hardly get Eldon to quit.
We traveled across Montana and South Dakota to Chicago. I think we visited Church history sites as well.



1979 - Flew to Washington DC and met up with the Nielsons who had taken our motorhome. They returned (using the other half of our tickets) and we took two weeks to come home with the motorhome. Highlights of the trip: the sights of the capital, Smithsonian, etc. Leaving Linnea in a Pizza Hut (when we returned she was still playing the pin ball machine, I think) Palmyra NY, Niagra, Nauvoo. Remember the rings made from nails they gave us in the blacksmith shop. Crossing the Mississippi on a small ferry at the end of Parley street, catching fireflies along side of the road and putting them in a jar (they lasted all the way to Independence Mo, where we let them go. Large grasshoppers in Texas, etc.






1982 - Catalina Island scout camp with Eldon, war canoes, buffaloes, wild pigs, etc. I think we did it again when Glenn was a scout.






Chasing rainbows when we went on an excursion to see the flowers in the desert.

Alaska trips - going fishing in Ketchikan. I think Mom, Brent, Glenn and Melissa went at different times. Glenn remember the time just you and I went there in our little Cessna plane after going on a business trip to Wanatchee, Wash. It was winter time, I think. Ketchikan: hiking through the forest picking wild berries, the 4th of July logging show, fishing from small aluminum boats, going on a 40 ft fishing boat, catching salmon and bottom fishing for weird looking fish just for the halibut.


Disneyland - staying in a nearby hotel, walking to Disneyland, breakfasts where Margaret and Martha (who came along to baby sit) had never eaten breakfast in a restaurant and when asked how they wanted their eggs, said "cooked."



Landing on a dirt road in San Ignacio Lagoon in Baja California in the Cessns 182. The three oldest boys were there. We brought ice cream for the kids in the village there and they gave us scallops marinated in lime juice, I think. We camped under the wing of the airplane.


Trip to Mexico City with Linnea. Taking the subway, seeing to Pyramid of the Sun at Teotihuacan. Shopping. Eating in a restaurant where they made me put on a jacket because it was so fancy.











Going to Paris and London when we went to get Melanie. Heather, Mom and I had a whirlwind tour of the Louvre, Versaille, etc. and in London we saw three plays: My Fair Lady, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Arsenic and Old Lace.


Yes, there was also the cabin, but I'm saving that one for another blog by itself.

Staying in the condo in Salt Lake City.

Trips to Thatcher to see Great Grandma and Grandpa Carpenter. The boys climbed up to the top of the sycamore trees at the side of the yard. Remember the good food, going down to the river bottom, the tractor, etc.

Train ride home from Los Angeles. I remember how hot it was, many stops all night, the whistling of other trains that would pass us in the night, eating on the train, etc.

8 comments:

Eldon said...

So how many of these pictures are actual? Is that really our old motorhome?

Melissa said...

Good times.
Good memories.

Dad said...

Eldon, I didn't have a good picture of the motorhome so I looked up the same year and model and downloaded a picture. The village is San Ignacio Lagoon fishing village where the kids lived. The war canoes are from the actual scout camp, but also found on the internet. I just thought it would be more interesting with photos.

Brent T said...

I remember most of these.

Anonymous said...

Goes to show how similar mormon families vacation. Many of those were my own family's vacations. Mindy

Dad said...

Corrections: Cyprus trees in Thatcher, not sycamore. The train trip was home from San Diego, not LA.

Linnea said...

Wow. I think we had two different families. Don't remember most of these. I do remember having to stay home with Heather and Melanie for an Alaska trip.

Heather C. said...

Yeah, I think the only one I participated in was the last one