Sunday, June 24, 2007

Thump in the Night



Have you ever heard anything go
THUMP in the night?

Last night we did.

We were all sitting upstairs talking. It was about 11:00 PM. All the windows are open to enjoy the night air. Suddenly, we hear the sound of a large plastic container being tumbled around.

Now a couple of weeks ago our trash can was turned over and the trash was strewn about. I thought it was either a dog or raccoons. It wasn't a big mess so I din't think much of it.

This time I was going to catch them in the act. I ran down stairs and opened up the garage door. I grabbed a flashlight (the batteries were kinda dead so it didn't work too well) and looked around the corner were the trash can was located. I couldn't see much, but as I staired into the darkenss by the side of the house, this is what I saw.


(scroll down )















This is kind of what it looked like but it was darker


American Brown Bear


This is what he was doing


I quickly ran back into the house, grabbed my 10mm pistol and ran to the back door. I fired one shot into the ground and came back into the house. My sister-in-law said she saw it take off like a spooked horse into the darkness.

I wasn't sure if I could legally shoot it so we still don't have a bear rug in front of the fireplace.

I love living in the mountains!


5 comments:

Madge said...

Please, don't send my grandchildren out at night to take the trash out!!!!!!!
Don't you go either!

Melissa said...

Say Hi to Teddy for me!!

Eldon said...

Lions, tigers and bears..oh my!!

Dad said...

Just for the record, it had to be a black bear (some are brown) because that is what's native to Arizona.

I'm not afraid of bears, only people with firearms shooting at bears.

Brent and April said...

Be Afraid....Be Very Afraid!!!!