Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Texas Thanksgiving

When we moved out to Texas in early November I had a creepy thought in the back of my mind - Yikes! I will have to cook our ENTIRE turkey dinner! Then we got the idea of driving to Nebraska to see my family. BUT after 1100 miles the week before, there was no way I was going to get FIVE kids back into the car for a long drive up North.

I secretly thought about going out to eat that day. Why not? No one, and I mean NO ONE, knows us around here! It wouldn't matter! We could just go to a fancy downtown Dallas restaurant and have a great day! (But, I felt a bit sad inside.) Our next door neighbors were going to the Dallas Cowboys game that afternoon - what the heck, it wouldn't be so bad to go out to eat!

But it just didn't seem right!

A few days before the Holiday, I began asking the boys what they would like to have on Thanksgiving Day. Christopher wanted chicken and Zachary wanted Uncle Brent's Famous Lemon Meringue Pie. At that moment, the phone rang and it was some people from the neighborhood that we had met at church. They popped the $100 question - Would you guys like to come to our house for Thanksgiving Dinner? YES!

So, Thanksgiving morning arrived and I was able to run my "10K Frisco by myself run" in the balmy 50 degree temps while Glenn took a long nap (or let's just say that he slept way in). The kids played Legos and watched Star Wars. Later that morning we decorated cookies.



Then we headed on over to the neighbors with our Lemon Meringue Pie, green salad, cookies and of course - the bubbly pop! Everyone had a good time and we stayed late into the evening! (This family has 3 boys and 1 little girl.)





She cooked a yummy turkey, stuffing & gravy and her husband did the mashed potatoes. Her mother brought additional pies and there were rolls (but not quite as good as Grandma's). So, all-in-all it was a wonderful Thanksgiving but we look forward to when we get to see our cousins again!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

We missed you guys!