Sunday, November 25, 2007

Frozen Turkey Day Race

So, until I married Heather I had no idea that Thanksgiving Day races even existed. Just for the record, some day I intend on running the Turkey Trot down in Mesa. This year, though, one of my friends in Colorado talked me into running the Highlands Ranch Turkey Day 5K (his company is one of the sponsors so he could get me in for free). I haven't been running in quite a long time, but I agreed (because it was free). We only started "training" for this race about 6 weeks before it started, but we were confident that we could at least finish. Well, Thanksgiving morning came around and so did the below freezing temperatures (the high for the day was only going to be 32 degrees). The race started at 9:00 am and it was bitter cold. I have never run anywhere with so many layers on. Despite the cold, I did finish the race (under 40 minutes which was my only goal). I think running a 5K in below freezing Colorado is somewhat equivalent to a 10K in Arizona, right?

3 comments:

Eldon said...

I think it was 75 and sunny for our race. Mindy and I and Linnea ran it this year.

Cindy Thomas said...

I ran my own 10K (to the park & back). It was probably in the 50s and I thought that was tough!

Melissa said...

way to go!