Monday, March 26, 2007

My Memories

Well, I have a random list of memories,
nothing specific.


Brown Road...
  • Being scared of the chicken coop because of King the Rooster
  • Climbing the plum tree next to it and eating the plums.
  • The tennis court and the automatic tennis ball shooter-outer thing. Do you remember wearing a pair of tennis socks with the puffy ball dangling from the back? I remember the huge bugs that would land on the tennis court at night. Someone, probably my brothers, told me that they were tarantulas (like the one that dad had in that picture frame along with all the butterflies). I recently asked mom what they really were because I actually grew up thinking that they were tarantulas.
  • My yellow, banana bike that Melissa passed down to me on my birthday. That was a great day.
  • The yellow, sectional couch.
  • The crystal chandelier over the dining room table and eating fish with tartar sauce. Yuck!
  • The Driggs were our home teachers and they would always bring us a treat. I liked when they'd come over.
  • The secret cubby in Heather and Melanie's room. I hid there every time we played hide and seek.
  • The secret safe in the floor in the boys room.
  • Eldon's wax? Or wax around cheese? I just remember chewing on Eldon's red wax. Weird.
  • The basement: the pinball machine; the video arcade that had a helicopter and some woman's voice crying for help (you've got to remember that I was only 5 or 6); the player piano and "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown"; the sparkly, yellow weight machine set that I was not allowed to touch (but I did anyway); the juke box; and chip and dale cartoons on the movie projector.
  • Do you remember the antique-looking, rotary telephone in the library that stood on a tall stand? I loved that!
  • And we had a big pile of rocks between our house and the Shills house and I would play there a lot.
  • Do you remember sitting on the divider between our little street and Brown Road? I do because I wasn't suppose to it because I was too young, but I would sneak in a sit whenever I could.
Evergreen...
  • The mirrors over the dining room table. Chicken and rice or roast. Graham crackers and ice cream. Cheesecake which is still my favorite, with tapioca pudding running in a close second.
  • I remember Brent and Melissa would ride their unicycles everywhere and I practiced and practiced but I never did get the hang of it.
  • The singing machine and The Carpenters.
  • John Wayne movies.
  • Mushroom pizza, yuck.
  • Dilly bars, yuck!
  • Kentucky fried chicken on the way to the cabin, yuck!!
  • Candyland and the dog-shaped beanbag at the cabin.
  • King's Table all-you-can-eat buffet! We would mix all the sodas together so that we could drink coke and mom wouldn't know it.
  • Shaving cream on the trampoline.
  • I had a fabulous slip and slide.
  • Hawthorne is the place that I go to school, boom, boom, boom; but I never sing about it's name, 2, 3, 4... Yeah!
  • Mr. Kempf and his amazing memory of names.
  • Mrs. Bowers and singing "Off we go into the wild blue yonder"...or "Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines: Nothing can stop the U.S.A".
  • Atari and the dragon game where you had to get all the different colored keys.
  • Leaving gifts and food on an unknown family's doorstep at Christmas time and hiding in the car while the boys would ring the door bell and run.
  • The movie collection of t.v. recorded movies.
Mallory Circle...
  • Monopoly games.
  • Playing in the orchards.
  • Mutual activities in the circle or in the pool.
  • The coyotes howling at night.
  • Riding the motorcycles where the elementary school now is.
  • Climbing on top of the house from the balcony.
  • The dang cats that still haunt the house to this day.
  • Anne of Green Gables marathons.
  • Sitting on the swing when it rains.
  • Oh! And cinnamon rolls on rainy days.
  • Homemade bread.
  • Rice, cinnamon and milk. Another huge yuck! :)

Well, I hope I didn't take your memory
but instead sparked more memories for you
or gave you something to expand on.
I hope I made you smile.
I did.

10 comments:

Melanie said...

Well, the first two memories meant nothing to me, and neither did riding dirt bikes where the school is now. And I guess climbing the roof isn't a memory for me either. (I was four) but sitting on the swing sure did. I still do it. (but alone) Next time it rains any of you are welcome to come join me! :)

Eldon said...

Wow. You brought back a flood of great memories. I can't remember those on my own very well, early on-set dementia.

Eldon said...

If you start a post and save it as a draft it remembers the date you first saved it. So when you finally post it you need to change the date to the current date. Click "Post Options" at the bottom of the screen when you are editing the post.

I changed the date for you Linnea

Eldon said...

How did you remember the safe in the floor of our room? I totally forgot about that. Dad had silver dollars in there and at night he would often get them out and let us count them. That safe and all those silver dollars made it seem like such an exotic secret. I think Dad liked that.

Madge Thomas said...

YEAH for Linnea's memory!!!
Rice, cinnamon & milk is still GOOD!

Linnea said...

Eldon, obviously I have a lot of random memories of weird things...the wax! What was that? :)

Linnea said...

I think we liked "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" so much because it had the word "damn" in it. "He's the badest man in the whole damn town! Bader than ol' King Kong, and meaner than a junk yard dog." Why is it so fun to be naughty? :)

Melissa said...

I love all those memories. I guess we didn't have it so bad - did we. Brown road was the best house ever.

Brent and April said...

The wax was "Sex Wax".

Eldon said...

Yeah I think it was Sex Wax. Now that I know what it is, wax for your surf board, what they hell was I doing chewing it. It was all the rage for AZ boys to buy it at "Bare Cover" and chew it.