Monday, March 19, 2007

Diving for Dad

I was trying really hard to think of a good family memory. Thoughts of the cabin came to mind; the headless snake thrown around my neck, the ATC and the mud, but I think one of my all time favorite memories has to be dad judging our dives by the pool at night.
I don't know if you boys ever did this with dad, but us girls in the family kept dad occupied many an evening having him judge our fabulous dives.


He would spend hours rating us,
1 being the lowest and 10 being the
"perfect dive".


Over and over again, we would dive into the water trying so hard for that "perfect 10". He would tell us that our splash was to big, our feet were too far apart, we needed to arch our body higher, and other things that his expert eye would catch. Then finally at last, when everything came together, he would bestow on us the coveted
"perfect 10"
!


Now as my children swim at moms, they beg me to judge their fabulous dives. I watch them dive over and over again until at last I can watch no longer and I bestow on them the coveted "perfect 10".


Dad, I loved that you spent hours judging our dives. I always thought I was Olympic worthy, but now as a parent I realize that after an hour of judging...


...dad just wanted to go inside!

4 comments:

Eldon said...

He did do this with the boys. Although I remember getting judged for cannon balls as well. My judging memories are in the pool on Brown Road.

Melanie said...

I never got judged for dives because when he did that I was too afraid to go head first. I remember cannonl balls, but I never got a ten. I think my chances would have been higher if I didn't go right after Brent...

Brent and April said...

I really thought I was a good diver and that Dad was a tough judge. Thanks for shattering my dream of becoming an Olimpic Diver! lol

Anonymous said...

I remember judging "all y'all" in diving, and actually I was a hard judge, and you did get better, but I had to start low and slowly raise the points to keep you motivated for such a long time. When I did give out a ten, I did want to quit, but believe me when I say that you earned a "10" and your dives were darn good.

I had a lot of fun doing it but I never thought it would make the big memory list.