Sunday, March 04, 2007

A couple of random memories...

Okay, I'm squeaking this in before the midnight deadline here, but I've been thinking about the memories I'd share all week. I finally found the images I wanted also :-). How's this for a trip down memory lane:




My memories of growing up often include food, like rice casserole, hawaiian haystacks, cracked wheat, and yes...Thrifty Icecream. I don't remember what the criteria was for whether you could get a single, double, or triple scoop (remember those cool cylindrical scooper guns they would click in the water bucket between scoops), but it was "the best" when Mom said, "Yes, you can have a triple!" My favorites were Double Chocolate Malted Crunch, Mint Chip, and of course Rainbow Sherbet. I remember all of us kids running into the store on Gilbert and McKellips and huddling around the ice cream counter deciding what we'd get. Begging for a "sugar cone" instead of the regular ones, and then going outside with the "stack" of icecream and frantically licking around your cylinder so that it wouldn't collapse in the high heat of the day! MMMMmmmmm - good memories :-)

Two more memories...one of them food - I also remember a few trips to Farrell's Icecream Parlor, and getting the gold coins as we went out in the candy shop. That candy shop was amazing. We always got the gold coins which were SO cool. I had one not too long ago and they are actually not that good - but back then they truly were like gold! Remember the pig's troughs and the Firetruck, and the singing happy birthday?

Okay, the last memory I have came today at Stake Conference. Christopher sat by me and with the lights turned down so that everyone could see the screens they have set up, he got sleepy. He laid his head on my lap and curled up, just like I used to on Mom's lap :-) That was my favorite part about church as a kid - laying my head on Mom's lap and listening to the music and watching the tall curtains billow in the air conditioning I suppose...anyway, they were moving and I was transfixed, watching them as I nodded off to sleep. Christopher never went to sleep, but Emma did, in my arms as I walked her through the hallways softly humming. Kids are so lucky :-) We were so lucky. Good memories!

9 comments:

Eldon said...

I also remember Thrifty. Especially the odd shaped scooper. The triple was always a challenge to eat before it melted.

Good memories

Melanie said...

I was lucky if I got a double!

The Brown Family said...

I would be glad to send you the info about the box oven, but I can't figure out your email. Mine is debbrown5@gmail.com. Email me and I'll send it to you.

Heather C. said...

I remember the triple scoop, it was rare but I know I've had it.

Madge Thomas said...

Does everybody feel sorry for Melanie??

Linnea said...

Umm, I never got a triple either. And I never got to sleep in church!!! Does anyone feel sorry for me? :) Do you remember the drinking fountain next to ice cream counter. Water and ice cream is a great combo.

Melissa said...

Why I loved rainbow sherbet, I will never know. But when I was a kid - that was the best ice cream around! It has been replaced by Ben & Jerry's Uncanny Cashew. If you haven't tried it - you need to!

Madge Thomas said...

Did you know that you can still get Thrifty ice cream at the Water & Ice on Gilbert & McKellips?
Of course it doesn't cost 75 cents for a triple scoop but ...

Brent and April said...

Ben & Jerrys "Turtle Soup" is the best! And NO I don't feel sorry for any of you. I had to sleep in the same room with Eldon & Glenn and they played mental games on me that will scar me for life.