Saturday, February 10, 2007

To Blog or Not to Blog...

That is the question...whether it is better to enjoy the bowl of ice cream offered by completing the obligatory blog or suffer in silence, un-sugared and unspoken.

I guess I'll blog - I want the ice cream carrot Cindy's offering me, and I made Eldon a promise that I'd do better.

Ok, this is a blog that should have happened a while ago, but since today was such a beautiful day - 75 degrees, partly cloudy and not much of a breeze, I couldn't resist:


You see, we got a call at 9:30 p.m. that fateful night from Mom, Dad and Melanie at the park - come they said - there's snow in Mesa! I thought, "Wow, there are snowflakes in the air, how cool!" "It's snowing?", I asked. No came the reply - "it snowed three inches just east of us. We're at the Alta Mesa park east of Higley Road having a snowball fight!" Well, we had put everyone to bed, so I figured going out there by myself wouldn't be much fun and what would the chances be of finding Mom and Dad there anyway. So I told Mom that we wouldn't be able to make it...throw a snowball for us :-).

But as Cindy and I got to thinking after the call...why not!?!

We went to the boys room and tried to wake everyone up. Benjamin was up in a flash and ready to go! Zachary sat befuddled in his bed unsure if he was dreaming or not. Eventually, he decided that if he wasn't dreaming, the pillow looked quite white and fluffy, thank you very much, and he was having more of that. Nicholas said he didn't want to go and rolled out of reach. Christopher just wouldn't wake up.

So leaving the three younger boys to their sleep, Benjamin, Cindy and I tried to find clothes worthy of a snowball fight. It took a while - they were buried somewhere in a closet.

We finally procured gloves and marched out to the garage only to realize we didn't have a sled. Or a garbage can lid, or a plastic tray, or anything that would resemble something to slide on the snow with. We began calling around to see if anyone else had toboggans of some sort. Then Cindy suggested our "boogie-board". No, I said in despair, I'm pretty sure it's got fins on the bottom like the surf board.

After another 5 minutes of searching, I opened the attic door and began a desperate search for something....anything to slide on. And there it was in the attic - the finless Boogie-board! Moments later, cameras in hand, Benjamin and I set off for the park to see if this was real!

I think the pictures speak for themselves:



Benjamin posing with the boogie-board!


Found the elusive snowman in Mesa!


Benjamin hits the slopes!




This story ends with the Mesa police showing up (we got there at 10pm right as the park closed) sirens flashing and bullhorns warning all winter wonderland revelers that their cars would be impounded and would not be released for days so MOVE IT NOW!

Needless to say, we moved, but not before we scooped up enough snow to take the snowball fight we were having home to Cindy! :-)

It was a night not soon to be forgotten - the night it snowed in Mesa!!!

1 comment:

Heather C. said...

now that wasn't so hard, was it? Welcome to the blogging world!