Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sunday Stories - A New Thomas Tidbits Tradition

When Mom originally started Thomas Tidbits the goal was 1. Keep us up-to-date with what is going on in our lives. 2. A journal of sorts for the family. Now that we are online it's the same, but we can include pictures and don't have to wait for Mom to compile the emails.

I have an idea to help us on the Journal aspect. So here is the plan:

Each Sunday one of the Thomas Kids is going to post a "memory" about growing up in the family (see mine below)

We are only going to do this 2 times through so everyone is only on the hook for two stories.

Here would be the order:

Eldon
Glenn
Brent
Melissa
Linnea
Heather
Melanie
Dad
Mom
repeat one more time.

The spouses will be included after we have each given two "memories". They can give us one memory of coming into the Thomas family. Those first few awkward months, or maybe years.

Basic guidelines:
(for the kids and Mom and Dad)
- A memory that is important to you or encapsulates a certain time or place, like a house or a vacation
- Funny or heart warming is fine. No gripping, complaining, therapy induced dribble
- As long or short as you would like
- Doesn't have to be Sunday when you post, but when you are on the clock keep it to a week

(for the spouses, start thinking now)
- A memory dealing with the dating and/or first year of marriage. ie meeting the other kids, mother-in-law/father-in-law stories etc.
- Or some other memory of a more recent family activity/event
- The idea would be to convey some of the quirky/funny aspects of the family as seen from an outsider

Any comments/thoughts? Post a comment.

Below is my memory. So Glenn you are on the clock
________________________________________________________

Suicide Ball

When we lived in the house on Brown Road Glenn, Brent and I played this game (I think we called it Suicide Ball). I remember spending hours and hours at this game over the course of years, but maybe Mom and Dad outlawed it after a few rounds. Somehow I remember a window being broken.

All that was needed was a Tennis ball and a wall. I remember using the back wall of the house. This would be the left-end of the house if you were looking at the back porch.

The rules were simple.
- You had to throw the Tennis ball at the wall
- It had to hit the wall first
- After hitting the wall it had to hit the ground without someone catching it first

If any rule was broken you had to run and touch the wall before someone grabbed the ball and threw it at you.

Usually the game went something like this.

Glenn messes up and I nail him in the back as hard as I possibly can. Inflicting excruciating pain.

Brent messes up and gets nailed by Glenn, who has channeled all his rage at me into his throw at Brent.

When I finally mess up I yell threats as I run to the wall. If I get hit softly the game continues. If I get hit hard, which is allowed, I throw a tantrum and chase down whoever threw the ball and beat on them a little. Then when they say they aren't playing anymore I threaten them again until they keep playing and let me inflict some more pain.

I remember playing this for hours and hours. Sometimes we would get a bunch of neighborhood kids over who would join in (Nelson's, Lane Anderson, Greg McInness). It also seems like it was always in the wintertime because I remember cold, bare feet and dead winter grass.

Whenever I drive by the house on Brown road I think of Suicide Ball.

4 comments:

Brent and April said...

I remember suicide ball too but only at night and I wake up screaming and I have to remember that is was only a dream. Now that I am older I would like a rematch sometime. :)

Melissa said...

I actually remember suicide ball also. I remember getting an invitation to play. "We won't hit you hard" they promised. "Wham!!! Whack!!"

"MOM, they hit me and it's all Eldon's fault!"

Darn Brothers!

Melanie said...

funny....I don't remember suicide ball!

Eldon said...

See what you missed being the last