Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Wingtips

I recently embarked on a new way to travel through life: watchless. The reality is that my watch broke, or better said, Garrett decided to see if my watch could support his entire body weight, which it couldn't.

So rather than spring for another $40 Timex, I have decided to wander aimlessly, except for the clock on my cell phone, computer, car, etc.

When the watch broke Mindy encouraged me to go buy a new one. At first I thought she was just being nice and felt bad for me. But maybe she was freaked out by the blinding, white ring around my wrist where my watch once was.

For at least 14 years I have worn a watch that never left my wrist, not for showers, not for sleep, not for....The result was a sickly white color that I have only seen a few times before.

The first time I remember skin of that color was as a teen when Dad decided to go swimming. Dad never went swimming. But he did that day and I remember being struck by the whiteness, even on that brilliant Arizona summer day. (I was going to go on about the hairless legs and how that added to the moment but...)

The next blinding moment that sticks in my mind is a summer several years ago when Glenn visited me in San Diego and I took him surfing. I remember the exact moment he took his shirt off. The shock and awe of skin so pure and white.

Brent has also added scar tissue deep within my memory. But Brent ads a unique twist by tanning his neck and arms to a perfect golden bronze. This gets your guard down and therefore ups the surprise factor when you finally see what the sun rarely does. (Has anyone else noticed that Brent has really long nipple hair? Now imagine him looking in the mirror and pulling on them after he reads this!)

Every day as I look at my patch of white skin one, and only one image flashes through my mind.




Sorry dad. White skin and Wingtips will forever be connected in my mind.

Glenn and Brent, succumb to your destiny.

3 comments:

Brent T said...

Your futile attempt to get me to blog isn't going to happen... at least not until my house is done. And yes I do pull on my nipple hair, how do you think they got that long.

Eldon said...

Hey at least I got you to comment! That is a step. When I'm done with you you will be a shaved, blogging metrosexual.

Linnea said...

Oh my gosh. That was the funniest thing I've read in a long time. I remember that fateful summer day by the pool. Shwoo. Had me laughing.