Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Better pictures

I got digital copies of the mammogram and ultrasounds today. These are better pictures and you can see the cancer better in relation to the nipple.

This one is the Mammogram

This one is the ultrasound.


These were both done on 5/24/10. The size of the tumor at that time was just under 1 centimeter. The stage they think I am in is Stage 1. The definition for that stage is: The tumor is small (less than 2 cm) and well-localized (has not spread to the lymph nodes).

At this point they do not think that it has spread to the lymph nodes. If it has then I would fall under Stage 2. There are a total of 5 stages.

This week I will have a few more tests:
Tomorrow (Wednesday): PET-CT scan
Thursday: Meet with Oncologist, have an EKG done and a Chest Scan.
Friday??: Meet with an Genetic Counselor. My doctor wants testing done because it is extremely rare that a male my age will get breast cancer. This can help for my kids in the future as well as studying genetic markers that will help identify cancer in others. From what I understand, they just want my blood.

I will also have a Chest MRI done. This will take a closer look at the lymph nodes and try to determine if there is cancer in them before surgery. I don't have that scheduled yet.

After all this is completed, we will then look for a second opinion. Assuming everything is as the doctors think it is and the 2nd team of doctors agree, we will have the surgery sometime in July.

I will post more information as the test come in. Here is a link for the type of cancer I have, Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.

No comments: