Friday, February 29, 2008

Does craziness run in the family?

Has anyone had any experience with imaginary friends? Thomas is obsessed with one. His friend's name is Russ (funny that he chose that name right, like we don't have enough of them in our family) and he has to do everything that Thomas does.  Naps, potty, brushing teeth, putting on shoes, getting in the car-seat; you name it and Thomas helps Russ to do it.  I thought it might end when Emerson got here but it almost seems like it's getting worse.  Am I not giving him enough attention?  Is this a normal phase?  It's getting embarrassing, his real friend was over here yesterday playing and Thomas kept inviting "Russ" to play with them, luckily the kid wasn't quite sure what Thomas was doing but still, he's looking a little crazy!  I haven't said anything to him, we just kind of laugh and even play along, it didn't seem like that big of a deal, but it's escalating.  I need the wisdom of my older siblings.

5 comments:

Brent and April said...

I've always heard stories about kids that do that but I have never actually known about one personally. At least that is what my friend Wilbur says.

Cindy Thomas said...

Christopher will be our public speaker... he talks to everyone and everything... not necessarily an imaginary friend, but just talk talk talk - while washing hands, while playing 2nd base, while swinging on the swings, while riding his bike, while eating dinner. I think he thinks that we're listening to him, but no one responds anymore... oh well :|

Melissa said...

My nephews do that, and Jeff's brothers all did that. They are all very creative, artistic people. Maybe he'll be the same. Either way, I would enjoy, video tape, and have fun on the ride.

Melanie said...

I wanted to have an imaginary friend when I was little after watching Anne of Green Gables but somehow I never really got that down. I settled with talking to myself.

Eldon said...

So far we haven't had any imaginary friends, but all our kids talk to themselves as they play.